Monday, March 28, 2011

I'm packed!

Monday, March 28, 2011

I did it! I packed in one carry-on, a large purse and a small daypack.  I feel like I am cheating by including the daypack but the shoe issue has made this necessary.
In the 21" carry-on I used packing cubes, bought from Magellan's, a wonderful mail order/on-line source for travel goodies.   In one cube there are two bathing suits, a cover-up and a couple of bras.  In another small cube is underpants and a few other miscellanous items.  Into a larger cube are rolled my tops,  Another large one holds several dressy dresses.  Everything rolled, of course.   From Magellan's there is also a folding cosmetic bag that hangs up when in use.  Into it there are earplugs, a sink stopper, a few laundry soap sheets, an umbrella, a rain poncho, and numerous other goodies.  It lays out flat and is exactly the same length and width as the carry-on, so is the top layer.    Into the front zipper pocket are shorts, leggings (3 pairs, three lenghts) a pair of pants, a skort and a sarong.  A sarong because it is so verstile.   OK OK...the daypack carries shoes and another cube with my "electronics".  You know, the cords for charging the iphone and the laptop that will be in my purse.  Along with my waterproof camera and the charger and card rreader for it.  I really don't NEED the mini laptop or the camera now that I have an iPhone.  However, if I want to do any entries on this blog I am much more comfortable with a real keyboard and photos that I can do things with.  So, for now, on this trip I will be overloaded with gadgets.    My large purse has non liquid cosmetics, a book, my mini laptop, and etickets...lots and lots of etickets. 
The first part of my jouorney is easy so I will check the carry-on and use the daypack as my cabin luggage.  I think that, now that I am  travelling alone the rules of packing light are more important than ever.  I really do not want to be wrestling with big luggage everywhere I go. 
First leg has me flying from Victoria to Fort Lauderdale where a day later  I will board  Nieuw Amsterdam, a Holland America cruise ship for a 15 day sailing across the Atlantic Ocean to Barcelona. Even with the singles supplement a repositioning cruise is a reasonable price  After 8 days at sea we have some interesting stops in Spain and Gibraltar.  I'll do blogs from those locations.  From Barcelona I will fly to Athens, after a short stop in London.  One day in Athens, then a ferry to the island of Aegina where I will stay with my friends Irene and Nikos at Kavos Bay.  A tiny piece of Paradise. 
Stay tuned for reports on cruising solo...I think I am either going to love it or hate it, and there is only one way to find out!  Where to after Kavos Bay?  Be sure to check back in to find out!
Hasta luego!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so happy that you've started this new blog, Helen!! I love reading what you write and following along with your travels, from the comfort of my couch!! Your Colorado "family" send you off with much love!! Please write often and know that your words are being soaked up on this end!!

    ReplyDelete