Saturday, April 16, 2011

April 16 Cartagena Spain

Two more days and the cruise will end. I will be happy to be getting on to the next leg of the journey.  The cruise has been wonderful.   But it’s time for it to end.   I’ve had fun.  I’ve met a lot of interesting people.  And I have been able to explore a few places that I have never been before. 
On this cruise I opted to actually take shore excursions.  When you are a couple it’s very easy not to do that and just explore on your own.  As a solo traveler it’s easier and nicer to take  some of the tours available.    I did do a few things on my own though.  In Cadiz I decided on our second day there to just get a ticket for the “Hop-on Hop-off” open top, double decker bus.  First time around I stayed on and listened to the taped tour.  Second time around I decided to hop off at Victoria Beach.  The sand was like pure white talcum powder.  Manouvering myself around all the bathers wearing almost nothing, I made my way to the water and for the first time ever…dipped my toes into the Atlantic Ocean.    It was cold!  I guess I’m used to the Pacific in Mexico…warm as bath water!     I then wandered the beach some more and ended up in the very elegant Victoria Hotel for lunch.    Back on to the bus…next stop a huge shopping mall.  I didn’t spend much time there as I can do that at home!
Yesterday in Gibraltar I took a cable car to the top of the rock.  Stunning view up there of Africa in one direction and Spain in the other.  Then went off and wandered in the siege tunnels for a short distance.   That part of the day I dedicated to Tony…he would have loved them nd the war history that created them.    There are hundreds of Barbary apes on the rock and everyone is told repeatedly not to touch them.  A fellow bus passenger just could not resist it..he tickled one….and got soundly bit on the arm.  The rest of us then had to wait  in the hospital parking lot while he was taken in for a tetanus shot.    I did get to go to the museum when we got back near the ship. 
Today, from Cartagena I went on a tour to a city caslled Murcia.  Inland about an hour.  While there we visited several churches, a cathedral, and a monastery.  Everyone is getting ready for big processions starting tomorrow on Palm Sunday, continuing all of next week up to Easter.    The processions will be wonderful I am sure.
After touring churches, temples and mosques around the world I felt that one day I would finally be churched out.  I think I hit that wall today.   No more tours that include cathedrals or temples!  Enough already!
I am on the New Amsterdam, the original Amsterdam was parked next to us today.  It has just done 110 of it’s around the world tour and is now headed home to Fort Lauderdale.  I talked to a lady on the pier that was from the other boat…it’s her second time around the world on that ship….I think she likes it!  It was interesting to see the two ships side by side…ours being the new big sister .
I haven’t been to too many of the night time shows.  However, last night was an Irish comedian from Belfast. I haven’t laughed that hard for a long time.   Tonight is the final formal night and an evening of death by chocolate. 
Tomorrow we wake up in Valencia.  I have nothing planned…other than I must pack for my departure the next day from Barcelona to Athens.  I am hoping I will be able to get it all back into that one carry-on bag!
Next entry will be from Greece.    See y’all there!

1 comment:

  1. This is wonderful, Helen! I love to read your words and hear about what you're doing! Thanks for posting, as I know it's time consuming and costly!! We love keeping track of where you are!! Stay happy, healthy and safe! Know we love you and think of you often! Looking forward to your next entry!

    ReplyDelete