Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Easter April 24 to April 27

Easter Sunday was, as promised a very YUMMY day.  After smelling everything cooking all day, the final dinner was as good as anticipated.  .  I've posted several photos onto Facebook...I'll see if I can get them to load here as well.  (Not always easy)  I think there were about 35 of us that sat down for this wonderful, very traditional Greek family style meal. 



And then...Monday!  A Danish Easter meal!  Lots of fish, including herring of course.  Another wonderful meal provided by the expertise of Pia , Rudolf and the three kids, from Denmark.  The finishing touch was an apple pie that was "to die for".  Yum.  


The number of languages being spoken during the week was amazing.  We had Greek, English, French,  and Danish.  I think everyone spoke some English (I was the only one with English as my mother tongue)  Danish family mentioned above spoke Danish, Greek and English.  Clair and Marco that live in Geneva Switzerland speak French to each other but also speak Greek and English.  A huge melting pot of a family.  And they made me feel like I was one of them.  They all even got me speaking some Greek  (I still don't know how to tell a taxi driver off though!  Hopefully I won't need to know that anymore!) 




Tuesday morning Irene and her daughter Kelli drove me to Aegina town and I caught a superfast boat to Athens.  Upon arrival I checked into the same hotel that I stayed in last week and then returned to the pier..a block away...to make arrangements for today's trip to Santorini.
Wednesday....Lugged my luggage through the rain this morning.  Where's a good valet when you need one??   Caught the "HighSpeed" run by Hellenic Seaways to Santorini. I arrived aqbout 1 PM.  It rained just about all the way here, and cleared up just as I arrivred.  I have a lovely little apartment overlooking the sea.  Then I went walking around town, did a bit of grocery shopping, then found a lovely little restaurant for a meal.  I met the cutest Japanes couple...married three days ago and here on their honeymoon.  They live near Tokyo and gave me lots of assurances that Kevin and family will be just fine in Osaka.    They pllayed "Melinda" and took pictures of all of the food they ordered.  I instantly knew they were Japanese by the little picture book of food they had with them....I remember that my daughter-in-law has one just like it!  


I took  a few photo today in Santorini but I'll wait to load them till next time.  (This is not fun...I don't know if it's bercause I'm using this little mini laptop or if it's the connection......but it's a chore. )

I have several more days here and will spend the time exploring.  It's a beautiful place! 





No comments:

Post a Comment