Thursday, April 28, 2011

April 28. Santorini Greece






I have arrived at the island of Santorini.  A beautiful, unusual place...formed by the eruption of a volcano.  There are black sand beaches here as well as red and also white.  Today I am fogged in so will explore those beaches when and if the fog burns off.   The island is also famous for it's sunsets.  I wonder if any of them will surpass the sunsets from the roof of the BenZaa in Puerto Escondido. 
  I have a lovely little apartment here.  The photos show it...the entire square above the word Apartment is mine.  I have a bed-sit, a seperate kitchen and a fairly decent bathroom.  I have a view from all four sides but the best is the blue dome with the sea in the background.  The streets are all winding and narrow...and cobbled, so I'll be sure to watch my footing.   
There is a fairly large supermarket nearby, so having a kitchen, I headed off yesterday for a few necessities of life.  You know, wine, cheese, bread, coffee,  locally grown pistachios.   Interesting little aside, for every Euro spent you get savings stamps for good deals on Tupperware!  Get 20 stamps and get some really cool things for half price!  Yes Brenda, Anna, Cheryl and Pam....I will bring home the brochure with the prices!

I've been asked many times..."Aren't you afraid to travel alone?"  Well, to be honest it never crossed my mind to be afraid until I continued to be asked!  So, now that it has crossed my mind I have given it some thought.    Yes I'm afraid...not of being lonely, or being mugged, or being bored,  but of being alone in my room and chocking on something and having no one to pound my back or give me the heimlick manouver!   Or walking alone down a lonely trail or back road and having a heart attack or appendicitis, or sliiping and breaking a leg.  and having no one to rescue me..or worse yet...having someone rescue me and no one knowing who I am or who to call!   So, point taken...I no longer walk around without my hotel business card and my own card with emergency contact information.  Happy now Mom? 

It looks like te fog is begining to burn off.  Time to go for a long walk.   I REALLY need to burn off a few things myself....like thousands of calories consumed over Easter Week!! 

Till next time...see you on Facebook. 



2 comments:

  1. Wow! Gorgeous place. Looks very inviting! Melinda...let's go to Greece!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the blog Helen! Now I really want to go to Greece!! Looking forward to seeing the brochure...you just never know where Tupperware will pop up :)

    ReplyDelete