Friday, April 29, 2011

April 30

Just a feew random items today.
It's my last full day here on Santorini and it's a wonderful sunny morning.  The last few have been totally socked in with fog.  Hopefully the day will also be warm.  Maybe today I'll head over to the black sand beach.

Contrary to what most might think, the entire world was not mesmerized by the Royal Wedding.  I'm a few time zones ahead of Britain here so no middle of the night stuff was necessary.  I tried to find coverage on my TV with no luck.  I went down to reception to ask what channel I needed to be on.  The response was "Wedding?  Whose wedding?  Oh, that one...no, not on TV"    I found out later of course that there was coverage  for people with a satelite dish .   So, life went on as normal here yesterday.

Speaking of weddings.  I read an article a few days ago that the number of weddings in Japan has sky rocketed since the disasters of March 11th.   I found that interesting.  The "why wait" mentality of the situation is a bit like what happens during war times.  This wonderful Greek Island of Santorini is litterally teeming with young Japanese couples, presumably on their honeymoons.  That has been the case with the few that I have talked to.  They're easy to spot...they take pictures of everything including every bite of food they eat.   I've also met a few honeymooners from the US.  Santorini is very much like Niagra Falls for popularity for honeymoon trips.  


Yesterday I walked up to the top of the cable car (my apartment is near the top) .  Took the ride to the old port at the bottom.  And then....phew,  rode a donkey back up.  Very aromatic experience.  Yuk.  The trail is steps winding like a snake all the way back up.  Unfortunatly, I have no pictures of when I was actualy on the way up...I used my iphone and the photos won't transfer to this laptop.  I do have others of the donkeys but not from burroback.   (Directly from iphone to FB but only if I use data, no wifi on the trail)

 Later I took a bus to a place called Oia...world famous for it's sunsets.  I had been there the evening before for that but decided to return and explore around the town a bit in the daytime.   It was cloudy the previos night so Puerto Escondido still rates with me as number one for "Best Sunsets"    Local busses go everywhere and cost 1.6 Euros...a great deal.  That's about $2.  I had been warned by my friends on Aegina that Santorini would be very expensive compared to Aegina or Naxos...due to the tourists and honeymooners.  However, I am finding it very cheap, maybe because the high season doesn't start till mid May.  My apartment costs 40Euros a night.  at $1.35/1E  that's $54.  A beer at Murphy's Pub is 8E but everywhere else it's 3, even less at the grocery store.   Fancy restaurants are expensive but there are tons that arn't quite so fancy...and EVERYONE has a great view. 

I have my ticket and I am set to go.  I leave here at 10:30 Sunday morning and arrive at the Island of Naxos around noon.   I have an apartment there as well, named Anthony Suites...named after my first cat!  (inside joke)  

Till next time...giassou!

No comments:

Post a Comment