Sunday, May 22, 2011

Florence, Italy. May 20-23

Meet David.  A Michaelangelo replica that sits (well.....stands)  in all his glory on top of a hill overlooking Florence.  He seems to be  hanging out every where around town!  Anybody want one?  He's on keychains, magnets, hats, T-shirts, and is available in sculptures of any size.  And the sculptures don't even need to be of his whole self...there are replicas of just one part of his anatomy available...also in various sizes.  Haha.

One of the wonderful old bridgers across the Arno River.


Santa Croce, and it's plaza.  It's not hard to tell that this was cruise ship and tour day.  I went back today around noon and almost had the place to myself.

Another view of the Arno..this time with a covered bridge.  This really is a beautiful city.  It's also extremely rich in history.







I overnighted in Rome upon arrival and the next day headed to Florence by rail.  A beautiful trip through the rolling hills of Tuscany's olive trees and grape vines.

I had pre booked a hotel here that ended up being a bit of a surprise!  Not terrible aweful, like the one in Istanbul....but unique.  At least for me.  In my room there is a sink and a bidet.  The toilet, another bidet and the shower are in a room down the hall.  A shared bath!  Never ever did I think I would live to see that day!  My booking had quoted me the wrong price of 87 E /day and I had it lowered to 50 E ($75?)    It's clean and in a super great location,  near the railway station and the bus depot, and is only for 2 nights.  So I have stayed.  32 stairs to the 1st floor reception area, another 32 to my 2nd floor room.  At least I'm getting some exercise.  Not to mention the miles I walk each day!  This hotel includes breakfast, but after being up for several hours during the night and then going back to bed.....I slept to almost noon!!!  I needed that, but what a shock!  Maybe now my body clock will match the actual clock.  I hope so.
Today I bought a train ticket for tomorrow that will take me to Viareggio...on the beach, not far from Pisa.   I decided I needed to chill out for a few days, so have booked a lovely looking beach front place called the Mirage for Monday to Friday.   It's lovely to not have anything booked too far in advance, I can go where I want when I want to go there!    I have a new book to follow the one I started 10 days ago in Frankfurt, carted it all the way back to Canada for a week without once opening it, carted it back here.  It's time to  lay on a beach and finish it and leave it some where.  It's not even a good book.  Bought it somewhere that the selection of books in English was limited.  But I'm a firm believer....you finish what you start!!  
I've had some great food here.  Including artichoke on a pizza and gnocchi Serantino.  Thanks for the artichoke recommendation Susie, I would never have ordered that  without you suggesting it. 
Wolfgang: so far so good.  I still have my wallet, my money and my documents.  But thanks to your comments  I have been extremely careful. 
So, where will I go when I check out of the Mirage on Friday?  Who knows!  I only know that by Monday I need to be in Civitavecchia to be able to board the Noordam the next day.

Arrivederci per ora

2 comments:

  1. When I am in accommodation with a shared bathroom, my fear is always that I'll lock myself out of my room at night and end up spending the rest of the night in the hallway in my pyjamas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 50 Euro is less than $69, so you got a very good deal!

    ReplyDelete