Sunday, May 29, 2011

Roma May 29, 2011

I've been in Rome for a few days and am loving it.  What a beautiful city just oozing history!
My laptop has died ( or is in a very deep hibernation)  so I'm limited in what I can do on a Mac that I borrow from hotel reception now and then.  Limited because I don't get to use it for long and can't downoad my photos etc.
Yesterday I went to the Vatican, hired a private guide and spent four  to five hours with her touring all the major highlights and museums.  Never once had to stand in the mile long line ups.  it was worth every euro.
I went back today just in time for the Pope to come to his window and give a little talk and then a blessing in about a dozen languages.  I have been totally in awe of the whole thing....this non religious person is overwhelmed!  I had bought a few rosarys for the Catholics in the family....they are now duly blessed by the Pope.
I have met the most wonderful interesting couple!  He lives in Malta, she lives in Arizona...they met about 6 months ago in an airport somewhere, got to know each other online and...here they are in Rome!  He has offered me his home in Malta to use when I come back from my cruise on June 10th.  I am very tempted!  They will still be travelling , both have jobs that they can still work online whie hopping around the world together!  and I would have the place to myself  (well, except for the maid that will be instructed to let me in if I decide to go!)  What a once in a life time opportunity.  My other plans could wait till next time.   (Venice, Milan)  .  If no one else wants this computer I think I just may do a bit of Malta research.....hmmm
The joy of not booking anything ahead, I can do whatever I want, when ever I want, should opportunities present themselves.

Big big European football final tonight.  Just happens to have two Italian teams in the final.  Palermo and Milan.  North vs South.  Here in Rome it is pretty obvious who they are all cheering for.  The town was covered in Palermo pink shirts today.  And flags and scarves, and hats  etc etc.  I wanted t climb the Spanish steps today and couldn't even get close due to big pep rally going on there.  I might be missing hockey fever back in Canada....but there are altenatives!
Too bad I can't post some photos.  Promise I will when I get the chance.
Arivederchi de Roma!

No comments:

Post a Comment